Saturday, May 8

Louisville Insights

One advantage of living in a city surrounded by farmland is being able to participate in community supported agriculture (CSA).  It was too late to sign-up for a meat CSA but I was able to join a veggie CSA.  CSAs are great because you get whatever the farmer is currently harvesting; it is fresh and local food directly from the farm.  I thought I knew a lot about vegetables but with my first pick-up from the farmer I was given something that had to be explained to me; green garlic.  It looks like a gigantic scallion, but it is unripened garlic.  You slice-up the white soft part and add it to a recipe for (what the farmer said) a really great rich garlic flavour.  I am looking forward to experimenting with my green garlic and all the other veggies that I will be getting throughout the growing season.


Political signs are everywhere in Louisville.  The majority of lawns I drive past have at least one political sign.  Some of these signs are very large and they are for every office.  I even saw a sign for district judge.  It would take me hours of online research to find out anything about the judges on San Diego's ballots.  With elections several months away, I can't wait to see how "colorful" Louisville lawns get.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous11/5/10 07:49

    As always, Elissa, I love your write-ups re your adventures! Something I always look forward to in starting my day (your blog is always on my start up page)! Love to all, Dad XOXOX

    ReplyDelete